Our first week with the new chicks has gone well, although we did lose one of the twenty four and not sure why. It was the “runt” of the flock. It was sad to see this little one fade away, but we’re told that losing chicks when transitioning them into a new home is common.
Apart from this one set-back, the rest of the chicks are doing well and growing quickly. They all have wing feathers now and also little tail feathers developing, too. We had to separate the orpingtons from the barred rocks and chanteclers, as they were far too interested in the contrasting plumage coming in on the other birds.
The barred rocks and the chanteclers are definitely more laid back than the orpingtons. They are much more friendly when we interact with them and seem to like being picked up and held. Can’t say the same for the orpingtons. They protest more when being picked up and aren’t interested in approaching us, like the others. But, overall, they all seem happy - as happy a chicken can be, I suppose - and should develop into a wonderful flock of chickens.
This week, we also got our potatoes into the ground. We tilled up a patch of earth with the yard tractor and were able to plant six twenty foot long rows, totaling about a hundred and fifty individual spuds.
The next couple of weeks, we’ll get the rest of the garden ready for the plants that need to wait until the danger of frost has passes, then get them planted.
We also planted a row of raspberry canes, which we hope will grow into a nice natural fence / border for the north side of the garden, and a few grape vines on the southern border of the garden.
Things are really moving along, here at the homestead.